CBD short for Cannabidol is derived from the cannabis plant. It is on of over 100 cannabinoids found in the hemp or cannabis plant. CBD is found abundance in the hemp plant, a species of Cannabis Sativa that has been used for thousands of years. Hemp is a very remarkable plant that can be used for fiber manufacture, biofuel and as a nutritious food (hemp seeds are very rich in Omega-3 acids).
Hemp also contains very low levels of THC and much greater proportions of CBD, meaning it is non-psychoactive. CBD is readily extractable from hemp plants and can be isolated from any THC to make the resulting product free from any psychoactive effects.
Cbd for Dogs has taken center stage. There have been countless stories about pet owner have bought Cbd for their pets and have noticed the positive effects
How can CBD oil help dogs?
So how can CBD actually help dogs? Let’s take a look at some of the main reasons for using CBD oil with dogs.
A recent survey from the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association (AHVMA) included responses from over than 600 pet owners, and found that the most successful uses of CBD in pets were:
- Assisting pets with digestive tract issues
- Anxiety relief (such as fireworks phobia and thunderstorms)
- Sleep aid
- Pain relief
- Nervous system support
- Reduced inflammation
- Reduced seizures
- Preventing vomiting and nausea
- Mitigating muscle spasms
- Skin condition treatments
Should I be worried about any side effects?
There are no real scientific studies into how CBD might create negative side effects in dogs and anecdotal reports are often overwhelmingly positive.
Indeed, CBD is not linked to any dangerous side effects in humans when taken within the normal dosage range.
The side effects of CBD are more likely to be associated with how well your dog tolerates it. As mentioned, CBD and the endocannabinoid system are very complex, and we are still uncovering new information about them all the time.
Generally, CBD products are safe to use for most humans and dogs providing that dosage guidelines are researched and adhered to.
The most common side effects of CBD oil that are:
CBD relaxes the muscles and stimulates neurotransmitters in the brain that modulate sleep activity, it may cause drowsiness.
It is far more likely your super-relaxed dog will simply curl up and get some comfy shuteye.
Increased appetite is not always a positive thing for dogs that already struggle with their size and weight.
Some anecdotal reports of CBD side effects in dogs suggest dogs may experience a dry mouth. It is not clear why this would happen though it seems likely associated with salivation resulting from CBD’s interaction with appetite.
If your dog’s stomach doesn’t tolerate CBD oil at all then vomiting is possible. Since CBD may relax the stomach lining and alter digestive functions, it is possible it could cause nausea resulting in vomiting.
The Canine Endocannabinoid System
The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) is a cell-signaling system found within both humans and canines, as well as a variety of other animals. It’s responsible for helping the body to maintain homeostasis – the strictly balanced parameters that keep us functioning properly.
The ECS works through receptors present throughout the body. These receptors act like a lock – opened by cannabinoids including CBD. And when these receptors are unlocked, they provide benefits for a wide variety of physiological processes including:
- Immune system response
So, using CBD for yourself or for your pet will help the ECS to function properly, helping to support overall health and wellbeing!
Just how safe is CBD oil for dogs?
With so many studies showing the health benefits of CBD, the most encouraging result is that CBD appears to be safe, even when taken in high doses and over extended periods of time. It can decrease the activity of liver enzymes used to metabolize many prescription drugs, so if your dog is on medication, check with your vet before using CBD.
Most CBD oil for dogs and other pets is derived from hemp oil, so it contains no or very small traces of THC. Because of this, all 50 states have approved the use of hemp-based CBD for human and animal products.
The bottom line is, CBD oil could be a healthy (or even lifesaving) herb for your dog. More and more pet owners and vets are drawn to its diverse and marked health benefits and they feel good knowing the side effects are mild and animals don’t appear to build up a tolerance.
CBD is still being tested for safety in humans so it’s not surprising that concrete evidence surrounding safety in dogs is lacking.
In humans, CBD oil has been found to be generally very safe indeed. One major study looked at Epidiolex, an anti-epilepsy CBD-based drug licensed by the FDA in America.
In a study that focussed on the adverse effects of CBD, participants consumed an extremely large quantity of CBD oil daily for 14 weeks so harmful effects could be measured and categorized.
Overall, harmful effects usually involved gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea and stomach cramps rather than anything more sinister.
We cannot assume that CBD oil is completely safe for dogs, but there are very few anecdotal reports of dangerous repercussions. The majority of negative reactions involve non-serious side effects.
The only major concern would be when your dog is already taking some form of prescription medicine, especially medicines for convulsions, anxiety, or depression.
Always consult a vet before using CBD oil. Especially if your dog has underlying health conditions.
CBD is generally considered very safe and many anecdotal reports including some scientific studies have confirmed its use for treating a range of conditions including anxiety, chronic pain, and loss of appetite amongst others.
If you’re looking for the best CBD oil for the dogs USA then this guide provides some of the best-established brand. We all want the best for our furry family member and that means never compromising when it comes to the health of our pets. Stacy’s CBD Oils are designed to support animal Endocannabinoid System function and to support overall health and wellbeing.
Here are just several reasons to give your pet Phytocannabinoid rich Hemp oil.
- CBD is not Psychoactive (you can’t get high from it): CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound that is found in both cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis and is what gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD oils are simply just the benefits of CBD without the THC. Typically, CBD is usually extracted from hemp rather than marijuana, so simply put – your dog won’t get high from CBD oil. She’ll get the relaxation without the intoxication.
- CBD Oil Reduces Anxiety: CBD has been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans it’s been found to:
- Reduce anxiety while speaking in public
- Reduce anxiety in both healthy people and those with anxiety disorders
- Be effective in those with panic disorders and PTSD
- CBD Can Fight Cancer: CBD and other substances in hemp and cannabis have been determined to have an anti-tumor effect. CBD has even been found to stop cancer cells from growing and increase death of cancerous cells.
- CBD has been shown to help the immune systems Killer T Cells consume cancerous cells
- CBD kills cancerous cells by inhibiting their ability to produce energy.
- The anti-tumor properties of CBD slow and inhibit glioma cell growth.
- CBD Can Treat Seizures and Epilepsy: An estimated 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. Most of them are put on drugs like phenobarbital and potassium bromide which may help control the seizures but can be extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other internal organs. Unfortunately, these drugs also do not work in all cases. CBD has been shown to be effective in drug-resistant epilepsy. In one study, 83% of patients with drug resistant epilepsy saw a marked improvement within 4 -5 months of taking CBD on a regular schedule. In another study, 84% of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy who had been taking CBD had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.
- CBD is a Pain Reliever: Scientists are considering CBD as a new class of drug in the treatment of chronic pain since the cannabinoids in CBD work so well for controlling pain. Studies show that CBD is highly effective for
- Decreasing pain (including neuropathy and nerve-related pain)
- Decreasing the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress (which causes degeneration and premature aging)
- Decreasing inflammation in acute pancreatitis
- Reducing inflammation
- Reducing intestinal inflammation associated with irritable bowel disease. Animal studies show that CBD is effective is preventing colitis (IBD) and restoring normal gut motility in IBD.
- CBD Helps Protect the Nervous System and Helps with Neurodegenerative Diseases: For does that are suffering from degenerative myelopathy and other spinal and nervous issues, CBD shows great promise. It’s been shown to help patients with ALS, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases by protecting the brain cells from toxicity. For senior dogs CBD has been shown to protect the brain from cell death caused by toxins and free radicals.
- CBD Increases Appetite And Helps With Nausea: If you have trouble getting your dog to eat, CBD can help. The National Cancer Institute reports that CBD increases appetite. In animal studies, CBD has also been shown to help with vomiting and nausea, even when they’re the result of toxins and drugs.
- CBD Promotes Cardiovascular Health: CBD has been linked to heart health. Studies show it can reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates, protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries, and reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety.
Stacy’s Organic CBD oil for dogs in the USA is becoming more popular and and with more products will be arriving in our CBD Oil Online Stores soon, as more and more dog owners discover the uses of the CBD oil for dogs.
You should always consult a veterinarian before giving CBD to your dog and it’s very important to pay very close attention to the dosage and the way in which your dog acts and behaves after they consume CBD.